“Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all His benefits.” Psalm 103:2
It’s Thanksgiving! People everywhere are pausing and reflecting on everything they’re thankful for. It’s a beautiful time of the year with families gathering together, eating lots of turkey, stuffing, and pie, and sharing loving memories.
It’s also a time to remind ourselves of God’s incredible blessings, something we ought to practice more often, in my humble opinion. There’s a beautiful quote I once read that includes a fabulous idea:
“When upon life’s billows you are tempest tossed, when you are discouraged thinking all is lost, count your many blessings, name them one by one, and it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.” Author Unknown
I like that idea — make a list of your blessings. I like lists, that’s right up my alley. So, I’m taking a week off from Biblical history and theology, taking a break from my research, and reflecting instead on all of God’s blessings in my life. There’s so much to be thankful for!
Here are 21 of them in no particularly necessary order, by no means exhaustive, and definitely undeserving. Maybe you’re grateful for a few of the same things.
- Top of the list, without question, is Jesus Christ, who died on a cross to save me from eternal destruction, who forgives me, and who loves me no matter how awful I might be some days.
- My A-mazing husband whose unwavering love and support makes life super incredible and whose beautiful blue eyes I could stare into forever. I love you, Babe!
- My three boys who drive me CRAZY, but I can’t imagine one — not one!–minute of living without them because they are so awesome, so smart, so sweet, and make my life so much more fun.
- My parents, brother, cousins, nephews, aunts, uncles, et al, who all help me remember where I came from.
- My two best friends — one in Georgia and one in Connecticut (you know who you are) — who both stick by me no matter how far apart we are and remind me of what true friendship is. You girls rock!
- My home and God’s protection.
- Our car that helps keep life on track.
- My health…priceless!
- Our finances and God’s continual provision in both good times and bad.
- Air conditioning to battle the Florida heat. And heat to battle the Florida cold (it really does it get cold in Florida y’all, I swear it).
11. My bicycle and gym membership because they keep the crazy in check.
12. Food in the fridge.
14. …And a little wine too. :-)
15. Family time doing whatever because it keeps us connected while we create lasting memories together.
16. Electricity because I’ve been without it and it’s absolutely no fun.
17. Clean, running water. Same reason.
18. My computer because it’s what allows me to share God’s word with so many wonderful people. Like you!
19. That I live in a country where I can freely go to church and exercise my love for God without worry about being thrown in jail for it.
20. That I serve a God who loves me unconditionally and was willing to die for me even while I utterly and purposely rejected Him for far too long. (Did I say this one already? It bears repeating anyway.)
21. And, last but definitely not least…ALL OF YOU for reading and learning the Bible with me and for traveling with me on this path called life. Every day we’re navigating our steps of faith together, and some days it’s hard to do, but with God on our side we already have the victory. You guys are amazing!
Making the List
This Thanksgiving, let’s all take time to seriously reflect on God’s blessings. If you stop and think about it, I believe you too could create a list like mine. Maybe yours is even longer! But, even if it’s shorter, what’s important is that it proves that God is always with you. He has promised to never forsake you, leave you, or stop loving you.
If you’re struggling to think of anything to be thankful for this Thanksgiving, how about getting out a pencil and a sheet of paper and start making your own list. Count your blessings, every tiny one, name them one by one. When you are finished writing, I’m willing to bet you will see what the Lord has done for you and your family, and your faith will be strengthened and renewed.
Thank you, Lord, for all the ways You bless us every day. May Your holy name be continually blessed for Your indescribable love, grace, and care now and forever.